I have a multi-cultural identity comprising Aboriginal (Kalkadoon), South Sea Islander (Vanuatu) and Anglo-American heritage. I grew up in Townsville living in the suburbs of West End, South Townsville, Mundingburra and Kirwan
I am married to Julie. We have three children Benjamin, Joshua and Brianna
I am the eldest son of John and Cecilia (nee Querro) Stanley. I grew up with my mum and dad and my family. When I was a kid, family get togethers were a lot easier to arrange and there were lots of them and so there were always uncles, aunties, grandparents and older cousins around to experience life with.up
I grew up at Garbutt Magpies sporting events watching parents, uncles and aunties playing. I played junior Aussie Rules football for Garbutt Magpies at Gill Park U12 to U16. I toured Melbourne in 1983 with the Garbutt Magpies U17 team and later, I played senior and reserve grade Aussie Rules football for Garbutt Magpies from age 17 until about age 21.
Over the years I have been involved in many junior sports with my own children (soccer/football). I am involved with the Northern Fury Football Club as Team Manager for their U16 Boys side. I coach my daughters U11 Girls soccer/football team at Rebels FC.
I attended Mundingburra State Primary School and Pimlico State High School. I gained an Associate Diploma in Civil Engineering by correspondence with USQ in Toowoomba.
My first job was casual work at the old Phillip Leongs Supermarket on Mill Drive (now Mountview Plaza). After school I started fulltime work as a cadet draftsman with the Qld Dept. of Main Roads. I spent 16 years with Qld Dept of Main Roads as a Road Designer. The last 14 years I have been employed with consulting engineering firms as a Senior Road Designer and my current employer is a North Queensland firm, Flanagan Consulting Group.
- Touring Melbourne with the 1983 Garbutt Magpies team after working hard with my team mates and family to raise the money for the tour.
- Graduating from University.
- Getting married and starting a family.
- Former Junior President of Sharks Junior Touch Football Club.
- Watching my kids achieve their goals.
ADVICE TO YOUTH
- Develop good work habits at school to do homework and revision.
- Learn to manage your time so that you can balance study and work commitments around your family and own free time.
- Always be on the lookout for new experiences and opportunities as these will help you grow and widen your eyes to what is possible.
- Be respectful of others.